To prove that I haven’t abandoned Paleo eating just because the Whole30 is over, here’s a recipe that I made last night to celebrate fall AND grain-free eating. Now that I know how much lower my blood pressure is while I’m grain-free, I figure I should keep with it…
Pumpkin Pie Spiced Grain-Free Granola
- 2 cups of cubed pumpkin or butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup shaved coconut
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- generous dash pumpkin pie spice
- Turn oven on to 275F.
- Put pumpkin in a baking dish and bake until getting soft, about 15 min.
- Add ghee to pan and mix.
- In a food chopper or processor, chop the almonds and hazelnuts into small pieces (granola-sized pieces).
- Add any of the raw nuts (in my case, all except the pumpkin seeds, which were already roasted) and the coconut pieces to the pan. Mix well to distribute the ghee/ oil.
- Continue to cook another 30 min or so until the nuts are all starting to get crispy.
- Add the pre-roasted nuts, salt, honey, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well, and press it all down into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake another 15 min or so until it is crunchy in parts and chewy in parts.
- Serve with yogurt, if you’re not going strictly Paleo, or with almond milk and eggs if you are.